11 Jan 2011
Ilitek controls over 50% share of China's handset TFT LCD driver IC market

Olivia Hu, Taipei; Steve Shen, DIGITIMES [Tuesday 11 January 2011]

LCD driver IC design house ILI Technology (Ilitek) currently controls more than half of China's market for handset TFT LCD driver ICs, and expects shipments to continue to increase as the market expands, according to company president Luen Wei.

"Ilitek shipped 330 million LCD driver ICs to the handset market in China in 2010, accounting for a 57% share in the segment. About 53% out of the China-bound shipments were for local brand vendors and the remaining 47% for white-box handset makers, Wei indicated." Additionally, Ilitek also shipped 92 million LCD driver ICs for handset vendors outside China in 2010, the company added.

"Currently, the company is cooperating with SilTerra, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing company (TSMC) and Maxchip Electronics for the production of 8-inch wafers. In order to fulfill demand from the smartphone sector, the company has also begun outsourcing wafer production to Powerchip Technology using a 12-inch manufacturing process, Wei said."

Ilitek is also cooperating with Chipbond Technology to jointly build up packaging and testing capacity for 12-inch LCD driver ICs aiming to ensure wafer supply and lower testing costs."Ilitek has also begun shipping touch ICs for tablet PCs, which should account for 10% of total revenues in 2011 and serve as a major growth driver, Wei asserted. Additionally, the company also plans to launch power management ICs in the second half of 2011."

About SilTerra Malaysia Sdn. Bhd.

SilTerra Malaysia Sdn Bhd is a semiconductor wafer foundry offering fabrication and design support services in CMOS logic, High-Voltage, Mixed-signal, RF and MEMS technologies down to 90 nanometer feature size. SilTerra's wafer fab has a design-in capacity of 40,000 eight-inch wafers per month and currently serves customers in US, EU, Latin America, Taiwan, Korea and China.

Environmentally vigilant, SilTerra delivers award winning, world-class performance to its customers seeking flexible capacity, custom technologies, competitive advantages and around the clock customer support. SilTerra is ISO 9001:2008 and ISO 14001 certified. Starting commercial production in 2001, the company's headquarters and factory are located in Malaysia's Kulim High-Tech Park, with sales and marketing offices in San Jose(California) and Hsinchu(Taiwan).

For additional information on SilTerra or its services, please visit www.silterra.com.


SilTerra Contact

Koh Meng Kong
Tel: +6012-491-0425
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Lu Ping Chiang
Tel: +886-3-574-1587
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.